Empowering JSEC Teens-With a Few Celebrities & the Michael Walton Foundation

Staff, Journalist--Promotional

Michael Walton, Cara Mund, Patrick Pass, & Stephanie Potts visits JSEC to help empower 600 Providence Teens.

When:   Thursday, January 18, 2018   8:00am – 2:30pm

Where:  Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex – 182 Thurbers Ave, Providence, RI 02905

Theme:  Perseverance​ (KNOWLEDGE + POWER + PERSEVERANCE = SUCCESS)

Miss America 2018 Cara Mund, Former New England Patriot Patrick Pass, USA Sprinter Michael Walton, Stephanie Potts-Founder of the Maddie Potts Foundation and Over 20 Community Organizations Equip 600 Providence High School Students with Tools to Persevere.

The Michael Walton Foundation and Juanita Sanchez High School are launching a collaborative partnership with a one day youth empowerment forum for students of the high school. The goal of the forum is to enhance students’ knowledge and development through the use of dynamic workshops and role model testimonials. Approximately 20 organizations from the Rhode Island community will be joining us to present workshops on a variety of topics under the umbrella of Perseverance, the theme for the day.

The forum will also mark the Rhode Island return of Brown University graduate Cara Mund, who was crowned Miss America 2018.

“Our goal is to help give teens a sense of hope and direction,” explains Michael Walton. “A lot of young people see the finished product, but do not realize all the hard work and perseverance that brought forth the end result. This Forum gives us an outlet to provide them with the tolls necessary to make positive change.”

Several other role models with local ties will join Cara for the opening and closing ceremonies including:

Patrick Pass, former fullback for the New England Patriots

Stephanie Potts, founder of the Maddie Potts Foundation.  Maddie Potts died suddenly while playing soccer for Chariho High School in September of 2017.  Her mother, Stephanie, has set forth to carry on her mission through charitable work.

Michael Walton, former USA track and field star and founder of the Michael Walton Foundation will serve as host.

Cara Mund, Miss America 2018.  Cara, a graduate of Brown University, will be returning to Rhode Island for the first time since being crowned Miss America.

The overall objective of the JSEC Youth Empowerment Forum is to facilitate a professional environment that reflects the core values of the school’s mission which are; Perseverance Positivity, Citizenship, Respect, and Love of Learning.

About Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex

We provide students with a rigorous college preparatory education and to create an environment that encourages and supports students in the development of an ethic of responsibility toward not only the local community, but internationally. College Preparatory, an International Focus, Responsible, Ethical.

About the Michael Walton Foundation

The Michael Walton Foundation is an organization that provides creative outlets for youth development. Its goal is to foster leadership skills and behaviors in young people by helping them to identify and cultivate their talents, set goals, and make informed career choices.  Founded in 2002, this premier youth-empowerment organization in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area endeavors to increase academic performance, decrease drop-out rates, support more applicants to colleges and universities and increase self-esteem.

www.michaelwaltonfoundation.org

(This article was a reprint to promote the event taking place at The Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex in January 18′)