Students and faculty mourning unexpected loss of JSEC Staff Member Sam Browne

We have received some very sad news within our JSEC family that we need to share with you. One of our teaching staff, Mr. Sam Browne, unexpectedly passed away two days ago on 5/20/2024.  Mr. Browne was a wonderful teacher, loved by all of his students and we will miss him greatly. His commitment to students and his motivating students to develop a love for learning has touched us all. We understand that this news may be very difficult to accept and that we will need to support each other during the grieving process.

We will have counselors and district support personnel available at JSEC throughout the week to help students talk through their feelings and emotions. Faculty and staff have been instructed to allow students to access these supports throughout the day as the need arises.  Grief counseling services will continue to be available throughout the week, and longer if needed.   Any/all students or staff may meet with the counselors at any time.

Sam has served his students at JSEC for over a decade and was loved by many students and staff.  He would work with students to develop work-place skills that could be used in the community.  Sam worked with dozens of agencies to provide opportunities throughout Rhode Island for students to prepare for real work experiences.  He assisted and challenged students to work independently and always strive to be their best.

***Students and Staff Remember***

“Sam was teacher assistant in the Exceptional Children’s Services (ECS) program and an important part of our school community for 11 years. He will be remembered for his constant smile and the relationships he had with his students. Sam worked as a community in transition liaison. He would assist students transitioning from the ECS program. Sam was generous and always offering to help his school community.”-Javier Montañez

“When I met Sam, I quickly learned he could strike up a conversation with anyone. He had a sense of humor and he loved to share wisdom.  Sam could easily grab the attention of any room. We miss him greatly. My prayers go out to his family and friends.” -Colleen Miller

“Man oh man I can write a whole book about my guy Sam, the most outspoken and funny guy I know.  Meeting Sam 10 years ago working at the same school, we grew as a family and we are all going to miss him so much” -Caprice Jackson

“We will miss how Sam always knew how to put us at ease and light up a room with his  conversation. relaxed manner and personality.”-Mike Miller
“You may have left the world, but your spirit lives on in every single one of us.  Thank you for the unforgettable memories that we shared.  I will treasure forever.” -Melissa Bentil

“Your light shone so brightly I can’t really believe it’s gone.  You will always remain in our hearts and memories.  We cherish the time we had with you and look back with a smile.  Your sprite still lives with us in our hearts. Thank you for being part of our lives. Our deepest condolence to the family for your loss.”  -Yolanda Medina

“Sam was not just my teacher but he was my friend” -Daniel Lopez

“Sam took us out to Burlington and made work fun” -Frankyln Noriega

“Sam was helpful in the gym working with our students with their shooting skills just before they played in their Unified Games.  The students responded well to Sam and I believe his light will shine in the kids minds/hearts forever” -Charles Moreau
“It is with a heavy heart that I share that one of our colleagues, Sam Browne, passed away yesterday.  I ask that you keep his family in your thoughts and take time to reach out to your fellow coworkers who worked directly with Sam as they are feeling the loss significantly” -Ariana Testa