The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

The student news site of Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex

The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

POLL

Have you seen a positive change since the use of Yond'r Pouches for phone storage?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

JSEC Doubling in Size Due to Amazing Bio-Medical Program and Computer-Science Pathways

The Juanita Sanchez Building itself has undergone many changes througout the past 20+ years and it must be remembered that the building itself has a capacity at any time to be two smaller high schools or one larger high school.  Many staff, students, & former students and staff and witnessed the changes and as we all know changes can be looked at as a glass half empty or a glass half full.   Overall doing what’s best for students is the goal while ensureing the school department budget can sustain and operate efficiently.  We are in this together and striving for excellence in student achievement is a goal all stakeholders have.

Recently the Providence School Department, Governor, RIDE Superintendent, and Senators have recognized the Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex with many accolades promoting the school’s advancement in courses offered for students in Bio-Medical, Computer Sciences, and the recent innovative Redesign Plan.   Both programs have flourished and recently the Bio-Medical program has been flourising.

“My favorite thing about the biomedical program is all the new experiments I have tried and the knowledge  it has taught me and where it has gotten me and all the amazing opportunities it has given me.  With all I have learned I hope to use it when I become a Pediatrician.  I find the field of biotechnology helpful and knowledgeable and now I know these classes in High School will have a huge impact on my future. I actually got to see real living cancer cells.” Andreina

“What I like about the BioMedical program is that it gives people new oppoprtunite in the medical field and how the medical field works.  It give us hands on experiences while we are still in High schoool   I was fortunate enough to get a paid internship at FutureGens Scholars where I get to work in the field and get paid money for it.  I also get to shadow Doctors, go into the lab, witness actual surgeries, and really expand my knowledge in the medical feild.  The best part is getting to interact with the patients one on one.”  Melany

Can you discuss the multiple accolades JSEC has received over the past 2 weeks?

In the past few weeks, we have been recognized by Governor McKee in his State of the State Address expressing the need to support life science programs like ours.  Neil Steinberg who was recently appointed as the new Chair for the Rhode Island Life Science Hub by Governor McKee during his induction mentioned JSEC three times as a school that has a wonderful life science program he would like to support. Senator Tiara Mack came to visit our Biomed students and said she too wants to develop a working relationship with them.

What inspired you to become a teacher to oversee the Biomedical Program?

After graduating from college with a degree in Medical Sociology I continued to do research in surgical transplantation medicine and preventive medicine.  While working on my doctorate, the program I was working on at the University of California at Irvine lost its funding so I went into teaching College Prep Biology in Long Beach, California.  While there, I became certified in Biotechnology and Career and Technical Education but it wasn’t until I moved to Providence that I started teaching in the Biomedical field I was trained in.  When I heard that Providence Schools was starting a new program in Biomedicine using the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Curriculum that I am very familiar with, I applied to be a part of this program and the rest is history.

What is your favorite thing about the Biomedical Program here at JSEC?

I love the hands-on work-based learning structure through the PLTW curriculum and all of the supplemental programs such as Biomed internships, work-based learning experiences, CPR/First Aid, College tours in Biomed, Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) competitions, and most importantly all of the amazing students who are a part of this program.

What goal do you have for the next year with the BioMedical Program?

We are presently working with Doctors from Brown University to expand our internship program to offer the Future Gen Cancer Scholar program to more students and to expand this program to include other disciplines in health care such as shadowing doctors in Occupational therapy.  Students will also be able to participate in a paid Certified Nurses Aid program for certification and we are presently working on paying for more seats at the New England Institute of Technology (NEIT) and CCRI so that students can earn college credits while still in High School

What is the Future Gen Cancer Scholar Program?

People of color have higher cancer mortality.  To reduce this disparity, doctors from Brown University and Lifespan partnered up with our CTE program director to create an internship opportunity for our students aspiring to become doctors by training students to be future leaders in cancer care. Students are paired with a single clinical hematologist/oncologist and shadow them throughout their internship.  Among the skills our scholars will observe include taking a history and physical examination, reviewing the medical literature, and analyzing data including laboratory and radiologic studies.  In small group lectures, students will also learn about inequities in cancer care, common cancers, clinical trials, Cancer treatments, immunology, and environmental carcinogens

What is HOSA?

Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is a Biomedical program that empowers future Health Care Professionals to become leaders in the global health community through education, collaboration, and experience. The purpose of HOSA is to develop leadership and technical skill competencies through a program of motivation, awareness, and recognition, which is an integral part of the Health Science Education instructional program. The goals that HOSA believes to be vital to each member are to develop effective leadership qualities and skills such as character, responsibility, self-confidence, and being of service to others while at the same time developing an understanding of current healthcare issues, environmental concerns, and survival needs of the community, the nation, and the world. Every year our students have competed in healthcare events and have accomplished extraordinary things by medaling at the State Championship

Madeline Chisholm, M.Ed. TESOL
CTE Lead Teacher/Biomedical Educator
PLTW Cite Coordinator/HOSA Advisor
Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex
182 Thurbers Avenue
Providence, RI 02905
401-456-1781 phone
401-456-1782 fax
MC