Arabic Food & Culture

Shaila Lopez & Renny Adames, Writer and Photographer

On Monday, December 18th,  Mrs. Aghia’s Arabic Culture and History Class tried many different foods based from the many different Arabic cultures.   One food we tried which I thought was amazingly tasty was the falafel which a spicy food that was deep fried but had lots of delicious ingredients in it.   The falafel came with a spicy salad which was also spicy and unlike any most of us had ever tasted, it was really really good!   We then tried a Middle Easter Dip which was very healthy made of chick peas.  This dip came with rolls that had food inside leaves which looked a bit scary to eat but once we consumed it we wanted more.   The quiche was the best I ever had, it was made with eggs, parsley, and flour.

In my opinion, of the food our class tried I thought the following hit a home run: the piroals, potatos, salad with cuts of cucumber, and the dips.   The desserts ranked up there very high as well as they were incredibly sweet and delicious.  I am giving  Mrs. Aghia and our M3 and T1 classes a huge shout out for working hard for this day to happen.  The day consisted of learning more about Arabic, their foods, customs, and traditions.  This Arabic Food Culture day gave us more knowledge about a history of which we had never heard of before.  This event served to open doors to new opportunities, new culture, and a very cool tasteful experience.

In addition to all who participated we also had almost 3 dozen teachers which included JSEC Administration, who came down to take part.  We enjoyed music, the food was delicious, and kids had fun.  To me there is no better way to learn than with food, students, teachers, and fun!  Kudos to Ms. Aghia for making this happen.