The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

The student news site of Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex

The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

The JSEC Cavalier Chronicle

POLL

Have you seen a positive change since the use of Yond'r Pouches for phone storage?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

JSEC Boy’s Basketball Off to Strong Start led by Freshman Phenom–Kyle Delves

JSEC Boys Basketball Off to Strong Start led by  Freshman Phenom--Kyle Delves

The JSEC Boy’s Basketball Team is off to an amazing start with a 4-0 record.  Even more surprizing is one of the team’s freshmen players named Kyle Delves who is a basketball standout both off and on the courts.  He has already proclaimed “RI High School Championship–mark my word” and he is contributing to the achievement of that goal through performances rarely seen in high school sports.  In his first game alone he scored 47 points, which we believe is an all time school record.   Due to the team’s performance  and many highlights spotlighting Kyle Delves, JSEC Boys Basketball Team was featured on WJAR TV’s “Perfect 10” segment on 12/29/23.

After the game Coach Mark Alexander gave a brief description of how he felt the team was doing and also commented on one of his starters on the team who has been getting lots of media attention.   “We had high expectations, after starting the year off, for now, we finished last season strong, we knew what we had coming backand the guys we had coming in, so our expectations is to win the Division 3 Championship again to be honest with you”    He added, “It’s no secret that this kid is extremely good, and it might sound cliche, but you can tell even when he was 6 years old that he was going to be good as he was playing in the ten and under league and that unheard of in rec ball” -Mark Alexander JSEC Boys Head Coach

“My first game was my highest scoring game, but  then I learned that other teams started picking up on me being better than they expected, and even though my recent scored aren’t as high as my first it’s definetely going to go back up again.  This is not my main goal, because it is for us to win as a team first.  Basketeball is just a hobby, you need more education than you do basketball, and if you do not have education you canno’t play basketball, basketball is just like a side hustle that I do, which I prepare for and have become good at, so I keep it going, but for sure school is surely first, my Mom taught me that” -Kyle Delves

Kyle seems to value his education above sports and sports has been icing on his educational cake.  He has goals of pursuing his education now and into the future with college dreams.  So many in the media are referring to Kyle as the “Freshman Phenom” giving much credit to his excellent offensive and defensive play.   What is refreshing about this Juanita Sanchz Team is that the theme of “student-athlete” seems to be resonating throughout the team.   With this new “Freshmen Phenom” further emphasizing the importance of sports and education, we share the optimism and want to be included in the fan-base in hopes that JSEC continues on this journey towards continuing their winning streak.   With a winning attitude like both he, the coach, and the team seem to have, it’s fair to say the boys team is well on their way towards reaching the goal to play in the RI State Championships this season.