2018 Pep Rally Perfection + Superlatives

Renny, Shaila, & Sharina, Newspaper Staff

On Friday February 9th there was a different type of atmosphere at JSEC.   Excitement and anticipation for the upcoming Pep Rally filled the air and just about everyone was dressed in their school colors: Grey, Red, White and Black. This happened to be the end of Spirit Week which would end with a huge party of sorts in the gym with all the people we know and love.  Signs, balloons, wild outfits, & painted faces filled the halls and upon walking into the 4th period the place was a glow with a rockin DJ (DJ Corey) along with our very own Graham Maione, the After School Program Director, directing everyone into the gym. The students sat according to their respective grade levels which were labeled: Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior & of course the Seniors.  Some of us thought of it as a party for all grades, while others thought of it as a semi-good-bye to the graduating Seniors.  Either way the place was electric and was intensified with the following additional activities and events:

*Sports Team Introductions*  *Tug Of War*  *Make-Up War*  *Musical Chairs* 

*Balloon Relay* *Superlatives* *Pie In Face*

The Pep Rally was well organized, everyone including the teachers had a blast. Each team was introduced by Mr. Nadeau, and each sport got lots of applause.  After each team came out they had their team photo taken by Mr. Moreau and the other Yearbook photographers, Fred, Nayelli, & Jenn.  It was cool to see the teams all celebrate together along with each class cheering them on.  The Tug of war seemed to have Seniors beating the Teachers in the end.  The Make-Up Wars was a first, and each class participant had fun being made up.  The Musical Chair Competition was won by the Seniors this year and the Sophomores took over the Balloon Relay with a win.  Arimelec Oquendo, who is also part of the Newspaper Staff, had the honor of pieing Mr. Or in the face as part of the Pie in the Face competition.

As expected the Seniors dominated the Pep Rally with rowdiness, dance, songs, and even body surfing.  Each year the Juniors and Seniors vote on many categories and the winners are posted in the schools’ yearbook.  Both the  12th & 11th Grades Superlatives will also be listed in Yearbook with photos of the winners of each.  Categories from the 12th Grade Superlatives included:  Most Changed, Most Athletic, Most Flirtatious, Most Creative, Most Likely to Show Up Late with Dunkin Donuts, the Quietest, Class Clowns, Best Dressed, Best Eyes, Best Friends, and of course the coveted category of Drama King and Drama Queen.

Below are an overview of photos of the Pep Rally and to see more check out a 2-page spread in the 2018 JSEC Yearbook.   We were told Yearbooks can be ordered through Mr. Moreau the Yearbook advisor whose one of the PE/Health Teachers.  He told us you must order by March 15th to get the Yearbook by 5/27.  The cost is about $39.99.

In sum we would give this Pep Rally a solid A rating, it was well planned, engaging, in control, had lots of energy, and very well balanced.   Some (not to be mentioned by name) in the past lets just say ‘needed a bit of work’, but this one knocked it out of the park….a home run.    This Pep Rally left us all feeling great about being part of a great school.  Please see the comments the Newspaper Staff overheard below then check out some of the photos:

• Comments:

“The Pep Rally was neat and organized and as a rising Junior I hope to be part of the team to make nexts years rally.”

-Sharina Diaz

“As a Junior I would recommend we add a lot more time next year because it wasn’t nearly long enough”

-Renny Adames

“Seeing Mr. Or get pied in the face made my life, it really made my 4 years of attending JSEC worth it”

-Lee Lee Todd

• Photos: