HALLOWEEN LITERACY & FUN IS NOT ‘DEAD’ HERE AT JSEC

JSEC Newspaper Staff & Mr. Q., Journalist

HALLOWEEN AT JSEC IS NOT DEAD HERE AT JSEC

THE ENGLISH DEPARTMENT HAS SPICED UP  CLASSES WITH SOME FRIGHTENING STORIES & LESSONS, PUMPKIN PAINTING, EDUCATIONAL LESSONS WITH A SCREAMING TWIST, COSTUMES & SCARY HEALTH,  FITNESS & SPORTS.

When it comes to Halloween, it looks like Halloween Parties themselves,  especially with the strict statewide social distancing guidelines, have come close to hitting the graveyard; however, some  JSEC Teachers have come up with some alternative activities that students can become involved in to at least get somewhat into the Halloween season and get hooked into the Halloween spirit.

JSEC’s English Department started this off today with a Halloween Surprise from Mr. Rametti

This is his festive interpretation of Poe’s “Annabel Lee”:

English teacher extraordinaire, Ms. Schmidt, and the ELA department has orchestrated a special event tomorrow for Halloween.  So, in the midst of the bad pandemic news, hurricanes, fires and other disasters, we’re going to have some fun.  It’s called the Creepers’ Café, a take on Readers’ Café.   ELA teachers will be reading selected scary stories, including one original story by the brilliant Mr. Yattaw, to their classes while dressed in costume.  Our fearless principal, Mr. Rametti, has also graciously agreed to participate as you should have seen from the link above.  Mr. Rametti’s story began the day’s readings in the English Department.  As students we’re waiting with anticipation to see his costume, presto, today it arrived with quite the story about Anibal Lee.

​Congratulations to the following students who are the top three recipients of our JSEC’s Halloween Essay Contest, “What is a Monster and Who Creates Him?” :

Delilah Calderon – 1st place winner, 40.00

Yashara Hernandez and Jason De Los Santos 2nd place tied winners, 20.00 each

Mrs. Kibarian’s Class shut off all the lights and they read “Sounds” which was a scary story about fishermen who were caught in a storm.  It was a very interactive reading with sound effects, screams, and a nice round of applause at the then end of the story which had a happy ending.                                   

Ms. Gormley had a special class where students were able to create artistic painting on pumpkins.  We integrated a few classes during this time and it was great to see students working together to create some pretty awesome pumpkin designs.  Ms. Garland also participating by engaging in an innovative mask-making activity.

Happy Halloween everyone!”  We are hoping that you all continue to stay safe in school, at home, this weekend during Halloween weekend, and help your family to remain safe.  Here are some last minute Halloween safety tips to remind you all to remain safe:

*Stay away from crowds and clustering

*Follow safe distance rules even when outdoors

*Avoid indoor events such as haunted houses.

(A local haunted forest or corn maze may be a better option, as long as cloth face covering use, physical distancing and one-way walk through is enforced.)

Have a safe and fun Halloween and remember staying in your homes safely watching a few scary movies may be the safest option.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN