JSEC Music Viewpoint+JSEC’s Top 10

JSEC Music Viewpoint+JSECs Top 10

Adara Almeida, Journalist

JSEC students seem to be strolling down to school to the beat of their own music and we were curious to just find out what exactly is being listened to in those earbuds.  We decided to find out and took a JSEC pretty informa Poll of the Top 10 Musicians/Artists that are being listened to.   Here’s what we came up with:

We did a JSEC quick survey of whats being listened in students earbuds and playlists and came up with the following list:

1. Aboogie

2. Kodac Black

3. Ozuna

4. MBA Young Boy

5. Kevin Gates

6. T-Grizzley

7. Drake

8. Kevin Gates

10.The Real G Money/J Cole (tie for 10th)

Music is used for a variety of events, activities, and occasions.  It is played daily in our generation and is included in most forms of entertainment.   Music helps teens escape reality and can ease stress and make life a bit better.

Some good aspects that pertain to music is that it can highly influence  children and adults alike.  Often it can expectedly and unexpectedly expose people to sex, drugs and violence.   Music is a very influential in many aspects of our generation and can do so in a positive and negative ways.  People, especially some parents serve to  censor music due to several instances of suicide attempts committed by teenagers. One parent talked about a son who killed himself while listening to the music of Marilyn Manson.  We also found that two of his son’s friends also did the same thing all while listening to the same artist.  With censorship, lesser attempts of suicide may be possible.   Advocates of the censorship say that the music industry is so powerful that it is capable to produce songs which can entice the public to listen to materials which overtly advertise nudity, sex and drugs.

When listening to music teens need to realize music is not a true solution.  Music censorship is not the solution. Instead, it should be literacy.  Some say that controversies are sometimes helpful because they can challenge individuals.   If music is censored, they believe the challenge will be depleted.   Also censorship can keep opinons of perceived truth from being told.   For some who oppose music censorship, they say they do not agree with hiding reality from people, especially children. By censoring music, they think it keeps the children from learning the truth about life. For them, some lyrics of the songs are harsh realities which should be accepted and overcome. Last but not least and most importantly censorship is a violation to the first amendment.  When listening to the radio, most people come across a song that has been changed from its original version, whether certain words are beeped out, or a string of lyrics are replaced altogether. This is censorship, and it is very common on the radio.

Controversial Artists: Madonna, Snoop Dog, & the John Lennon

Whether music censorship is necessary or not, it will always be an issue with contentions from different groups. Music censorship can be a positive thing if only it is done with limitations.  Some artists and record companies already censor themselves. At the end of the day, the public is the one which decides if a song is worth listening to or not.