JSEC and PPSD Hosts Brown University Grant Award Ceremony/Roundtable Discussion With Students

Mr. Q & JSEC Newspaper Staff, Journalists & Photograhers

On Friday May 19th The Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex hosted an event last week that was a new collaboration between Brown University Libraries and Providence Public School Libraries.   Brown Libraries have received a major grant that will allow them to partner with PPSD schools across the city.  The grant will allow for collaborative projects,  book purchases, additional of informational resources,  and also support library initiatives, that build reading, writing, and literacy.  In addition the the event the students participated in an insightful rountable discussion with President of Brown University, Dr. Christina Paxson.

Dr. Paxson arrived at the library, to  announce the grant awarded to Brown Libraries.  This grant was aimed at supporting and partnering with Providence school  libraries.   Mr. Q took this opportunity to prepare students to ask questions with Dr. Paxson in a roundtable discussion.    Students got the chance to discuss their passion for graphic novels and what they would like to see more of in our library.  This direct communication is showed that not only would funds be used to assist students but these same students whom the funds would be helping, they too would be heard.  Dr. Paxson also spoke to student artists in Ms. Garland’s class who were working on murals in the hallways.  The student murals all had a some type of expressive meaning and message.

This is a partnership had its roots several years ago when Mr. Q partnered with a librarian from Brown for a variety of student experiences including trips to the Brown campus as well as activities here at JSEC.  At this point, Brown is extending that commitment with this new initiative.

JSEC was very excited to be part of this experience and to see the beginning of the expansion of great things happening here in Providence.  The library is an amazing resource for all things literacy and this grant most certainly will support fueling this life-long endeavor.